All Scout Groups wear a green nametape showing the official Group name and are also able to wear their own Group Badge which is optional.
On the left is the original 8th St Marylebone Group badge with our old District badge of Marylebone depicting the Scout fleur-de-lis, Tudor rose and the river Bourne. Marylebone gets its name from a church dedicated to St Mary, represented now by St Marylebone Parish Church (1817); the original church was built on the bank of a small stream or 'bourne', This stream ran along what is now Marylebone Lane, which preserves its curve within the grid pattern. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the Bourne which, over time, became shortened to its present form, Marylebone.
The three petals or leaves represent the threefold Scout Promise - Duty to God and Country, Duty to Self, Duty to Others. Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scouting movement, adopted the fleur-de-lis symbol from its use in the compass rose because it
points upwards in the right direction. The two small five-point stars stand for truth and knowledge. Together their ten points represent the ten original Scout laws. The reef knot represents the strength of World Scouting. The rope is for the unity of Scouts throughout the world. The ring holding the petals together represents the bond of brotherhood.
Over time there was a decline in membership with many Groups folding and Districts shrunk in numbers, to offset this Districts were amalgamated together over time. When the Group restarted in 2013 after the dormant years we adopted the old Marylebone badge as a basis for The new Diehard Group Badge.