This is the history of a remarkable building in Hill Road, St.John's Wood, which is a legacy from a few determined people over the past 125 years to create a golden gateway of the sun - a building that, during the last 20 years, has been completely re-built in a mighty altruistic effort to suit the social changes and economic escalation of modern society.
The Mansergh was originally built in 1910 to house a boys club run by Paul Neuman, their motto was
As Dogged As Does It. During the War the building was requisitioned by the Civil Defence as a temporary Mortuary and the Boy's Club was disbanded. After the War Les Kirby saw the opportunity to use it for Scouting and after agreeing a lease the Group moved into their new HQ in 1946.
In 1967 the Group raised funds to secure the freehold and it became their permanent home. Over the next 30 years Group members and revenue declined and the building fell into disrepair. In 1997 a team of Old Scouts formed a committee to redevelop the site and the new Mansergh was completed in 2004.